The source of the
following information is mainly "Roslagsbanan 100 år" published
1985 by AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafiks Järnvägar, ISBN
The next line to be opened (in 1878) was also created to support the iron industry. Dannemora-Hargs Järnväg, DHJ, connected the big open iron mine in Dannemora with the ironworks in Gimo and the deep water harbour in Harg, totally 39 km. Timber became a good source of revenue in addition to the iron ore, charcoal and iron products, but passenger traffic was scarce, in the beginning only one train in each direction on weekdays, none on Sundays!
By 1884 the
line was extended with a new railway - Länna-Norrtälje
LNJ. This 60 km long line connected the town of Norrtälje,
at a well protected harbor in the middle of the Roslagen coast line,
Uppsala and the rest of the swedish railway network. ULJ and LNJ
started to co-operate with one through passenger train a day in each
between Uppsala and Norrtälje. The first time table of 3 hours 40
minutes for a one way trip, was soon extended to 4 hours and 18 minutes
for the 80 km!!!
Except for acting as a supply line for Stockholm, feeding the city with agricultural products and wood, SRJ carried a fairly high number of passengers. The first narrow gauge commuter line north of Stockholm was born.
traffic was added when Djursholmsbanan, DjB, was opened in 1890.
expanded as a popular new area where the prosperous people could build
their own houses at big lots in the "Garden Village". With
they could commute to and from the city. However, the little train did
pollute the "Garden Village", and soon plans were made to convert the
to electric operation...